Last weekend, the debate was on, shall we go and see it as a couple or not. I resisted the invitation, hubby was very keen on watching it but the reviews were appalling. So we stayed in and watched “The Vow”, much more appropriate a story for Valentine’s weekend.
If you haven’t watched it, I would encourage you to. It is based on a true story and it leaves one feeling hopeful for the future, in spite of trauma and apparently insurmountable obstacles. Love wins, even when it needs to take a new shape and form and start afresh.
On the other hand, I am so glad we didn’t go to watch 50 Shades of Grey together that evening.
Cause filth it was, according to hubby’s account this morning.
Here is his view on it, bullet point by bullet point:
1. It is “the most overrated movie” he has ever heard of and watched, which shouldn’t have made it onto the screens.
2. It cannot be classified as an +18,as the sex scenes are not very suggestive. So if you were planning to get all steamy watching other people having sex, don’t bother. His words!
3. “It is not about sexual abuse only”. It is about one human being abusing another very naive and trusting human being without any remorse and heart.
4. Very interesting, as it comes from a bloke’s point of view, the movie opens the discussion about child abuse, as it is revealed that Christian Gray had been used by an older woman from the age of 15 for sexual gratification.
5. “There is nothing romantic about the movie.” The guy treats sex like a cold business, has Ana sign a contract about delivering sex to him under circumstances he chooses only and treats her as an object, not as a partner.
6. The movie ends abruptly, with Ana realising she cannot save Christian from his deviant behaviour. There can’t be redemption, anyway, given the facts the relationship is based on from the start.
Hubby was very disappointed but I am grateful he shared his insight with me.
Have you read the books or watched the movie?
What have you thought?